Monday, May 1, 2017

Planet Comicon 2017

Hello there good readers!  It's time for a Springtime sojourn into the world of Planet Comicon, the 3-day extravaganza of comics, art, nerdery, sci-fi, fantasy, and high-priced celebrity autographs that was in Kansas City April 28-30.  I once again visited Planet Comicon for a day, spending many hours wandering the exhibit hall, talking to authors and artists, viewing many fine works of art, and marveling at the sheer magnitude of the event.  I'll write up a few posts about some of the artists that I met during the 'Con in the next few days.  Long time readers know that I like to support local artists, so giving them a little press and directing some attention to their work is my way of support (in addition to, in most cases, purchasing their wares).

Best Win:  I'm a life long Abbott and Costello fan, especially (duh) their "Who's On First" routine.  Comic strip artists Bill Amend (Fox Trot) and Stephan Pastis (Pearls Before Swine) have both done strips paying homage to "Who's On First".  Well, both of these artists were at Planet Comicon, so I found the strips, printed them on a single page, and was successful in getting them to sign it!  What a one-of-a-kind piece!



A Miss:  I had hoped to have Felicia Day sign my copy of her book "You're Never Weird on the Internet", as she was one of many celebrity guests meeting, greeting, and signing (for a not-really-nominal fee).  Alas, Felicia's line was 90-120 minutes long all day.  I'm not one to invest that amount of time just for an autograph, so my copy of the book remains unsigned.  And I had such a witty dialogue all ready for Ms. Day too....

Another Win:  With Felicia Day a no-go, I stopped by DMC's booth instead.  Last year, I had Mr. McDaniels sign a copy of "Christmas in Hollis" (awesome!).  This year I bought his comic, got an autograph, and posed with him for a pic.  Pretty cool.

Authors and Artists:  Here are some of the authors and artists I met during the day.  Look for more details about these fine folks in some upcoming posts:

Chelsea Mann - comics and artwork Philosoficate.com

Kerrts Kazuka - artwork - https://www.prettykittyemporium.net/home

Taylor Carlson - comics - https://www.behance.net/tmcarlson

Mark Groves - author - https://www.facebook.com/magcowmediabooks/

and finally, Ivery Kirk and Luna Teague, authors of this fine tome:http://www.timebangers.com/books/

Interesting stuff at Planet Comicon, my friends.






No comments:

Post a Comment