Wednesday, November 9, 2016

2016 Christmas Comp Album Art

I've been making annual Christmas compilation CDs since, oh, about the turn of the millennium, and had a set of Christmas mixtapes before that.  The CD cover art has always been either 1) nonexistent, 2) an afterthought, or 3) a struggle to do something decent.  The last few years I've been fairly happy with the results, but it's not my forte.

So this year I decided to commission the cover art with a local artist I met at Planet Comicon.  I wrote a post earlier this year about Megan Fitts and her BFA project, a self-published (with Kickstarter help) comic book.  I contacted Megan a couple of months ago about producing the artwork for my annual CD.  We met, chatted about the CD and other Christmas topics, and I asked her to work up some ideas.  The only guidance I gave was "Christmas music", and I wanted to see what she would come up with.

She sent me back, after just a few days, rough sketches of five options.  They were all great - the hardest part was choosing from among the five to have her finish them out.  About this same time I was having playlist angst - my playlist was too long for one CD and still I had more songs I was waiting on - so I decided I would do a 2-disc set this year.  So, I picked the top two designs and let Megan work her artistry.  And so, I'm proud to present a preview of the artwork for Christmas Music 2016, Discs 1 and 2.




Her black and white concept for disc 2 is brilliant.

Please visit Megan's Facebook page and her Tumblr page to view more of her artwork.

Art of Megan Fitts Facebook

Art of Megan Fitts Tumblr


No comments:

Post a Comment