Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve Celebration

It's Christmas Eve.  Time for celebration, time with family and friends, preparation for Christmas Day festivities, last-minute shopping, or the many other things that we do on this great day.

My last couple of shares have been about the side of Christmas for children - traditional stories and carols about Santa, toys, gifts, and joy.  Today I want to return to the spiritual side of Christmas for my final share of the season.

"A Festival of Lessons and Carols" is a 1965 release on the Argo label from England.  It is a recording of the Christmas Eve celebration at King's College Chapel in 1964 (fitting, as that was my first Christmas Eve).  Hymns, carols, readings, and lessons for the celebration of Christmas culminate in a Prayer and Blessing, with a final hymn, "O Come All Ye Faithful" closing the joyous gathering of Christians.


I have recorded this as only two mp3 files, one for each side of the album.  While recording it, I thought it best to retain the continuity on each side of the record, instead of breaking it up into several separate tracks.  However, I have also included a link to a zip file with the two wav files, in case you would like to re-edit and separate the tracks.

And, I have included scans of the booklet that was included with the record.  It has all of the carols and readings for you to enjoy.


Peace and joy to each of you, and thank you for visiting Merry and Bright this season.  As always, it has been my pleasure to introduce you to new yuletide music, or to reunite you with the sounds of years long ago.

Merry Christmas!

A Festival of Lessons and Carols - mp3

A Festival of Lessons and Carols - wav

7 comments:

  1. Thank You so much, Der Bingle, for this and all the other wonderful musical treasures you unearth and bring to light - All for our Christmas enjoyment!

    A Very Merry and Bright Christmas to You :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just listened to the 2012 Lessons and Carols from King's College, so it will be interesting to hear how is sounded in 1964!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to hear your conparison of the two programs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for another amazing season of shares, Der Bingle! Once again you have made the season merrier for complete strangers, and that makes you a pretty nice guy in my books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been listening to the Lessons and Carols on the radio every year since I was a child in the 1980's. I look forward to hearing this 1964 program.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Der Bingle. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for making my Christmas a special one. I just love this old music. You are doing us all a real service by finding a sharing a little bit of Christmas history.

    In these days of vocalists using "Auto-tune" and producers using Pro-Tools, the work of all the artists you share is even more remarkable. Nothing beats the sound of a great vintage Christmas performance... on vinyl.

    Thanks again for making time this holiday season to share with us.

    Best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete